When the weather starts to turn cold, rats and mice do what we all do – they seek out someplace warm. Our homes provide snug shelter for them, but there are steps you can take to ward off these pesky pests. RATSAK has a wide range of rodent-control solutions to help you evict unwanted rats and mice.
Rats and mice are champions of subterfuge, but there are signs rodents are moving in and making themselves comfortable. Listen for gnawing and scuttling sounds. Look for chewed cables or food, rodent droppings, or smudges along skirting boards. And follow your nose – a musky, ammonia aroma (especially in enclosed areas, like the roof space) is a sure sign of pests.
There are a few simple steps you can take to make your home much less inviting to rodents:
• Keep food in sealed containers, remove uneaten pet food, clean crumbs off surfaces and move compost bins away from the house.
• Seal off entry points like gaps and open pipes, and remove potential nesting materials such as piles of newspaper or autumn leaves.
• Put down a few “just in case” traps or bait to discourage visitors and gauge whether rodents are making their way through your defences. (Tip: Make this a part of your autumnal seasonal routine.)
If rodents have found a way in, wherever they’re hiding, RATSAK has a tailored solution. If mice and rats are in hard to reach places (like ceilings), try RATSAK Fast Action throw packs. These chew-through packs can be tossed into the furthest corners of the attic, where they will eliminate pests with one feed. If you’re spotting signs in accessible areas, try RATSAK Clean Kill mouse traps. They feature a secured mechanism (which is safe for use around kids and pets) and easy, no-touch disposal. RATSAK reusable trap stations are powerful enough for rats and designed for indoor and outdoor use.
If you’re worried about pets accessing bait, RATSAK Naturals rodenticide bait pellets are made from natural ingredients, and are safe for use around dogs, cats, birds and livestock.
• Safety tip: Always read the label and safety instructions carefully before use.
• Some products are not available at all Bunnings stores, but may be ordered.
Shop our range of essential RATSAK pest control supplies.
Asbestos, lead-based paints and copper chromium arsenic (CCA) treated timber are health hazards you need to look out for when renovating older homes. These substances can easily be disturbed when renovating and exposure to them can cause a range of life-threatening diseases and conditions including cancer. For information on the dangers of asbestos, lead-based paint and CCA treated timber and tips for dealing with these materials contact your local council's Environmental Health Officer or visit our Health & Safety page.
When following our advice in our D.I.Y. videos, make sure you use all equipment, including PPE, safely by following the manufacturer’s instructions. Check that the equipment is suitable for the task and that PPE fits properly. If you are unsure, hire an expert to do the job or talk to a Bunnings Team Member.