Asbestos, lead-based paints and copper chromium arsenic (CCA) treated timber are health hazards you need to look out for when renovating older homes. These substances can easily be disturbed when renovating and exposure to them can cause a range of life-threatening diseases and conditions including cancer.
When following our advice in our DIY videos, make sure you use all equipment, including PPE, safely by following the manufacturer’s instructions. Check that the equipment is suitable for the task and that PPE fits properly. If you are unsure, hire an expert to do the job or talk to a Bunnings Team Member.
If your home was built or renovated before 1990, there is a good chance it has asbestos. Before you start any work around the home find out where it is and what you need to do to protect yourself, your family and your neighbours.
The Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency asbestossafety.gov.au has a range of resources to be asbestos safe.
Before 1970, paints containing high levels of lead were used in many Australian houses. Even small amounts of dust or chips of paint containing lead, generated during minor home repairs, can be a health risk.
You can use a simple test kit from Bunnings to indicate the presence of lead-based paint.
You can also find more information below:
Copper chrome arsenate (CCA) is a water-borne solution of up to 25% copper, up to 45% chromium and up to 37% arsenic. This treatment is used to make timber highly resistant to pests and fungi but it can also be toxic when handled or burnt, and should never be used for household building or renovation.
You can find more information below: