Tips for using a Rug Doctor cleaner
You can reduce excess moisture on your walls, windows and floors by improving the airflow in your home. The easiest way to do this is to keep you doors, cupboards and wardrobes open and move furniture away from the walls. You can also install wall vents in your home to let in the fresh air. As well as preventing dampness and mould, wall vents help reduce your cooling or heating costs because air is more easily circulated around your home.
If your gutters are full of leaves or damaged, it can lead to leaks in your roof. This is a major cause of mould build up in the home and the best way to avoid this is to make sure you always clean your gutters and check them for damage after the wet season.
There are all sorts of handy products that work to absorb moisture from the air and help prevent mould. Moisture absorbers naturally absorbs excess moisture and maintains a healthy humidity level in your home. Many of these products ae made to last for up to 60 days and refills are available.
A good way to prevent mould is to use a water proofing paint. There are a number of water proofing paints that are guaranteed to keep water out and protect against mould and mildew as well as giving you a great looking finish. It can be applied to wet and dry walls, inside and outside your home and used on concrete, stucco, cement, cinder block and other masonry surfaces.
Mould can build up quickly anywhere you have tiles, like in the bathroom, kitchen or laundry. There is a range of mould sprays designed for protecting tiles, grouting, ceramics, plaster and vinyl and even on painted surfaces. These sprays kill mould and the mould spores that cause regrowth. They can also be used outside on roofs, gutters, tiles, concrete pavers, blocks and brickwork. There are also environmentally friendly mould sprays that are non-acidic, non-caustic, contain no bleach, are phosphate free and deodorises as they clean.
Asbestos, lead-based paints and copper chromium arsenic (CCA) treated timber are health hazards you need to look out for when renovating older homes. These substances can easily be disturbed when renovating and exposure to them can cause a range of life-threatening diseases and conditions including cancer. For information on the dangers of asbestos, lead-based paint and CCA treated timber and tips for dealing with these materials contact your local council's Environmental Health Officer or visit our Health & Safety page.
When following our advice in our D.I.Y. videos, make sure you use all equipment, including PPE, safely by following the manufacturer’s instructions. Check that the equipment is suitable for the task and that PPE fits properly. If you are unsure, hire an expert to do the job or talk to a Bunnings Team Member.