D.I.Y. paint supplies you'll need
• Dulux Renovation Range Cabinet Doors in your chosen colour
• Dulux Renovation Range Clear Coat
• 38–50mm high-quality angled sash cutter brush
• 4mm nap 100mm wide microfibre roller
• Paint stirrer and drop sheet
• Painters tape
• P400 sanding paper
• Selleys Sugar Soap
Dulux Renovation Range Cabinet Doors requires a clean surface to adhere. All grease and dirt contaminations MUST be removed, or the paint will not adhere and will peel or flake off.
For previously painted surfaces:
1. Scrub down all areas with Selleys Sugar Soap and rinse with clean water to remove any dirt, oil or grease. Use a plastic scouring pad on heavily contaminated surfaces. Repeat this process using clean water, at least twice.
IMPORTANT: Do not use abrasive cleaning detergents.
2. Mask as required uding a good quality painters tape.
3. Completely remove any loose and flaking paint. Fill any cracks or holes with a suitable hard epoxy-based filler such as Selleys Knead- IT Aqua.
4. Sand glossy and semi-gloss finishes to a dull flat finish using p400 paper before coating.
5. Use a clean damp cloth to remove any dust.
Painting tip: When painting over dark coulours or timber with white or a light colour, you may require more than two coats, so make sure you calculate how much paint you need before you start your project.
Kitchen, bathroom and laundry cabinets:
Including laminate and varnished timber. Remove doors for easy coating of edges and door surrounds. Follow preparation as per previously painted surfaces above. If there are any breaks or scratches in the coating, apply Dulux PRECISION Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker spray pack before topcoat.
Wooden cabinet doors and kick boards
Follow preparation as per Previously Painted surfaces above. Apply Dulux Renovation Range Plastic & Laminate Primer before topcoat application.
1. Cut in as necessary using a 38–50mm high quality angled sash cutter brush.
2. Coat surface using a 4mm nap 100mm wide microfibre roller.
3. Lay off. Once each section is coated, gently go over the surface in the same direction with an unloaded roller using minimal pressure. This will give a smooth consistent finish.
For best finish on cabinet door areas apply Dulux Renovation Range Clear Coat as the final coating. This will add a layer of protection to the Dulux Renovation Range topcoat.
Check out the full range
Need something for your next paint project? Take a look at the full range of Dulux paint.
For more painting tips and techniques, check out Bunnings’ paint guides here.