Main components required
• HardieDeck boards
• Double winged base jointer (connects the boards to the joists)
• Snap-in top strip (snaps into base jointer after coating to conceal fasteners)
• HardieDeck edge caps (used to finish the perimeter of the deck)
• James Hardie joint sealant (used for additional support to hold boards in place)
• Sealant (for protection and choice of colour. This is not supplied by James Hardie)
Note: please read the HardieDeck installation guide and How to seal and colour your HardieDeck sealing guide for the full list of component options, further information on how to install HardieDeck and recommended sealants for different applications.
HardieDeck installation summary:
1. Decide on your final deck design.
2. Prepare and set the frame based on you desired deck layout.
3. Temporarily fix your edge cap, apply James Hardie Joint Sealant over the joists and place the first board.
4. Place the double winged base jointers over each joist and fix the screws ¾ of the way, then place the second board and tighten the screws all the way.
5. Place the next row of base jointers, then the following board and fix the base jointer all the way. Repeat the process until the deck is complete. Ensure there is a 10mm gap between the first deck board and the house.
6. Remove the temporarily fixed edge cap and seal the deck – refer to HardieDeck sealing guide for full details.
7. Install the snap-in top strips and the selected edge caps along the deck perimeter.
View the full HardieDeck range
Check out all of the products and accessories available from James Hardie.