Clear the Decks
It’s time to face it! There are some things that you own that are not going to fit in your new home. Wrong size, wrong colour or just, ‘What was I thinking?’ Now is the time to dispense with them, before you change your mind.
Save yourself the trouble and expense of moving things you don’t want or need any longer. Here are some fun ways to find new homes for it all.
• Going, going, gone online. Sell items through an online auction site. You never know, your Luke Skywalker action doll in original packaging may be moving overseas.
• One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Have a garage sale and use the money you collect to pay the removalist.
• Give things away to charities. Some of them will even come and pick goods up if you call them.
• Hard rubbish is easy. Arrange hard rubbish collection for bulky items like old fridges and washing machines that don’t work.
• Donate it to your school. Ask your local school if they would like some things for their next ‘Trash n Treasure’ fete.
• Go to a car boot sale. Remember, don’t buy anything!
• Phone a friend. If you have kids they probably have a collection of toys and clothes that they have grown out of. Tricycles, books, stuffed animals, puzzles and dolls are the classics. Find a friend or relative that has children a year or two younger than yours and give them the lot. With the okay from your kids, of course!
• Doesn’t anybody want it? When all else fails you can always arrange a skip or dump bin. To save money, co-ordinate it with the time you are tidying up the garden.
» Go to previous page